Hello everyone. Sorry it has been a while since I posted. I had some not so fun dental work and couldn’t really eat much of anything so that makes it hard to test new recipes. But now I’m back with some delicious new recipes for you.
We are going to kick things off with some amazing chocolate waffles, vegan of course.
My husband had a couple days off from work which is unusual since he is a Drill SGT. He just loves waffles, but I wanted to try something new and was craving chocolate. So we combined our breakfast cravings and tested out a chocolate waffle.
We tossed in mini chocolate chips which I like better in waffles and pancakes than regular chips because the sweetness is not overpowering. These waffles are also low in sugar, so while they are “chocolate” they are not overly sweet. They get their yummy chocolate flavor from cocoa powder which is great for you. We also tossed in peanut butter chips, but my store did not offer a dairy free brand so be mindful of that if someone is vegan or has dairy allergies.
If you need a waffle iron, mine is a Chef’s Choice 830B WafflePro iron. It sits flat (does not rotate/ flip) and has heating elements on the top and bottom. It has settings for the interior and exterior of the waffle. I like to keep mine at a 6 which is the brownest setting with my other dial set at a crisp exterior and soft interior. I usually let it go about 30 second after it beeps telling my the waffle is done. On my birthday wish list is a true Belgian waffle iron as my iron is listed as a Belgian model, but makes pretty standard waffles.
If you have extras, I often make a double batch just to make sure I do, these freeze wonderfully. Layer a piece of wax paper between each waffle after it has cooled and freeze them inside a gallon plastic baggie. When you want to enjoy some amazing waffles, simply put them in your toaster just like you would a store bought frozen waffle! Ego has nothing on these bad boys 😉
- 3 Tb ground flaxseeds
- ½ cup water
- 6 Tb melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups warm almond milk (or your favorite milk)
- 1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 Tb cocoa powder
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 1 Tb granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or peanut butter chips (these may not be vegan!)
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a small bowl or mini food processor whisk the ground flax seeds and water until they reach an egg like consistency.
- In a medium bowl combine all the wet ingredients until well mixed. *Make sure the milk is warm or it will cause the butter to harden into clumps*
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and stir until well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- If adding in chocolate chips, gently fold them into the batter.
- Scoop ½ cup of batter, or recommended amount from your iron directions, into the waffle iron and cook according to the waffle irons directions.
- Serve immediately, keep warm in a 200F oven, or let cool completely on a wire rack and freeze.
- *These waffles are just as amazing when frozen and cooked in a toaster oven just like any other frozen waffle so plan to make extra for this purpose*