I used to enjoy eating Nutrigrain bars with their soft texture and jam filled centers. But sometime they were a bit dry and so so. So I decided to play around and make a delicious vegan version that was even sweeter and more delicious.
The dough in these breakfast bars is thick and delicious. It is slightly sweet and the combination resembles pie crust with some of the gooey filling stuck to it.
I used So Delicious vanilla flavored yogurt in the recipe, but you can use any type of dairy free yogurt you like. Silk has a great line of soy based yogurt. The coconut milk based So Delicious brand is slightly sweeter and lighter in texture and color.
Even my cat couldn’t resist checking them out. He is always curious during photo shoots and I have many “blooper” pictures with him in them. So I thought today it would be fun to share one.
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup & 2 Tb rolled oats or quick cooking oats
- 2 Tb light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tb butter, cold and cubed
- 1½ Tb vanilla dairy free yogurt (I love So Delicious)
- 1-2 Tb water, cold
- ¼ cup blackberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 7x5 baking dish with parchment paper leaving a tail of paper above each edge for easy removal.
- In a food processor blend the flour oats, sugar, salt, and cinnamon until the mixture resembles flour.
- Add the butter and yogurt. Pulse until the mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
- Add the water 1 Tb at a time and pulse until the mixture comes together into a dough ball.
- Divide the dough in half. Press one half firmly to cover the bottom on the baking dish.
- Spoon the jam over the dough and use the back of a spoon to smooth it over the entire surface.
- Break the remaining dough into small pieces and press them together over the jam. Have fun and do not worry about being perfect you want to have some jam sticking out .
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are turning golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the dough section comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Using the edges of the parchment paper lift the bar out of the pan. Cut the bar into 4-5 pieces using a sharp knife or a my tool of choice, a pizza cutter.
- Store chilled or at room temperature. They will say good for up to one week.